Saints Row 2 Monkey Patch Project

I'll add looking at the audio files to my to-do list.
If I were in your position and needed assistance implementing higher quality audio I would consider looking in the direction of the folks over at Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition mod. They managed to restore console quality audio via .dll injection to the notoriously awful PC port of SH2. I believe they have a twitter handle of @whereallbegins if you want to contact them.

I'm experiencing a strange issue when using the Monkey Patch on Steam. I have my framerate locked at 58 fps in Nvidia Control Panel to reduce the clipping issues, but with the Monkey Patch my framerate doesn't exceed 44 fps at the title screen and it's visibly slowed down as well. This only happens with the full Monkey Patch; the standalone Dummy DFEngine and Openspy patches both work fine. If it matters, I'm running the 4 GB exe and DXVK.

Is it the 4 GB patched version from the DXVK site? I believe they added some of their own patches to the exe to make it work better with DXVK, and they could be conflicting with my code.

Try running the game with the command line parameter keepfpslimit. That will stop it from patching in my fps fix, which could be conflicting with their fps fix.

The 4GB exe I found in this guide. I don't know if it was patched specifically for DXVK or not, but I recall reading that it's just the exe from GOG.

I tried running the game with the following

1. Monkey Patch + vanilla exe
2. Monkey Patch + DXVK, with the vanilla exe
3. Monkey Patch + 4GB exe, no DXVK

And in each case the framerate was still lower. Regarding the command line, that also doesn't seem to work. The sr2patch.txt that Monkey Patch generates indicates that the command was run as well, which is strange. Only the full Monkey Patch .dll seems to result in the lower framerate.

The 4GB exe I found in this guide. I don't know if it was patched specifically for DXVK or not, but I recall reading that it's just the exe from GOG.

I tried running the game with the following

1. Monkey Patch + vanilla exe
2. Monkey Patch + DXVK, with the vanilla exe
3. Monkey Patch + 4GB exe, no DXVK

And in each case the framerate was still lower. Regarding the command line, that also doesn't seem to work. The sr2patch.txt that Monkey Patch generates indicates that the command was run as well, which is strange. Only the full Monkey Patch .dll seems to result in the lower framerate.
What is the output of the s2patch.txt file?

Also are you using the powertools fix (DXFreezerServer.dll) as that will conflict with my patcher?

No, I'm not using that fix.

This is what the txt files gives me.

Start : Saturday, July 13, 2024 19:07:27
0 SYS DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH DFEngine.
0 SYS Patched Kernel32.GetVersionExA.
0 SYS Calling hooked GetVersionExA.
0 INFO Hooking WinMain.
0 INFO QueryPerformance multiplier is 1.000000
0 SYS Patched Kernel32.QueryPerformanceFrequency.
0 SYS Patched Kernel32.QueryPerformanceCounter.
0 SYS Calling Hooked WinMain.
0 INFO Module name = G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row 2\sr2_pc.exe
0 INFO Game is large address aware. You have more memory available for mods.
0 INFO Memory allocated to process at startup = 4095MB, memory free = 3807MB.
0 INFO Patching openspy.
0 INFO Patching GOG No FPS Limit.

No, I'm not using that fix.

This is what the txt files gives me.
Strange, your multiplier is 1, which means you shouldn't have the speed-up bug and any changes that are made shouldn't change anything. I may add some code to disable patching of the speed-up big if the game isn't effected by it, i.e. the multiplier is 1.

If you use the command line parameter keepfpslimit does the line "Patching GOG No FPS Limit" change to "keepfpslimit - Keeping GOG FPS limiter"? What this actually means is that the patcher isn't patching the game to remove the GOG fps limiter, as I believe it's already patched by the exe you are using.

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 which supposedly isn't affected by the speed-up bug.

This is what I get when using the command line.

Start : Sunday, July 14, 2024 09:41:56
0 SYS DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH DFEngine.
0 SYS Patched Kernel32.GetVersionExA.
15 SYS Calling hooked GetVersionExA.
15 INFO Hooking WinMain.
15 INFO QueryPerformance multiplier is 1.000000
15 SYS Patched Kernel32.QueryPerformanceFrequency.
15 SYS Patched Kernel32.QueryPerformanceCounter.
15 SYS Calling Hooked WinMain.
15 INFO Module name = G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row 2\sr2_pc.exe
15 INFO Game is large address aware. You have more memory available for mods.
15 INFO Memory allocated to process at startup = 4095MB, memory free = 3798MB.
15 INFO keepfpslimit - Keeping GOG FPS limiter.
15 INFO Patching openspy.

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 which supposedly isn't affected by the speed-up bug.

This is what I get when using the command line.
OK, I've changed the engine so it skips the patching of the speed-up bug if it isn't needed. Can you try the attached file and let me know if that helps? If it's working, the sr2patch.txt file should have a line saying. "No speed-up bug detected. Skipping patch."

Attachments

• DFEngine.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 35
Back