The Unused and Left Over Chunks In SR2

I really didn't know where to put this as it's mod related but also not 100% mod release kinda stuff, so figured general chat was best a place as any. So over the years at least ever since the chunk editor released. In my free time i've went over this games chunks and have found sr1 left over chunks as well as unused chunks and beta chunks. I originally wasn't going to make a thread on here but meh i'm bored so here we go. - Feel free to correct any info here you deem as wrong and i'll update!

Updated 9/25/24 @ 11:21 pm [GMT-5]
This is still a WIP

1. sr2_chunk093_alt_groundpr
This is mostly just added rubble to the projects district, I assume to give it more a "disaster area" feel. We can assume this was unused for performance reasons.
This full chunk is in the game on pc/xbox 360.
2. sr2_chunk104_alt_groundpr
This is mostly just added rubble to the projects district, I assume to give it more a "disaster area" feel. We can assume this was unused for performance reasons.
PC has textures for this. Xbox 360 prototype build has the full chunk and textures but is not loadable due to chunk versioning.
3. sr2_chunk167_mt
I don't know what this would have been, all sr2 versions that are public are all 1kb files so it doesn't load. I assume this was a mission test chunk?
4. sr2_chunk093_fin
Guess this would of been "finish" chunk with slight differences - projects, guess it was more refined with added rubble.
5. sr2_chunk135_crib_pimp
This more than likely was the "Downtown Apartments Crib" before it was changed to be the Downtown Loft Crib.
6. sr2_intbacribhot
This would have been the "Barrio Hacienda Crib".
7. sr2_intwrcribloft_ratty
This would have been the default state for the "Penthouse Loft". PC has texture for this. Xbox 360 prototype build has the full chunk and textures but is not loadable due to chunk versioning.
8. sr2_chunk194_sl
The chunk and texture exist on pc, however I don't know the purpose of it. It's basically a shoreline and a road piece, which chunk194 already has.
So who knows, maybe it was for a cutscene or was because the chunk was different in earlier game builds.
9. sr2_mp_gb_drivein
If I had to guess this would of basically been a mp map that's designed after the drive in movie theater that's in the arena district.
Xbox 360 has a cts file left over for this map.
10. sr2_mp_Frank_Test
The chunk does not exist however the mp map is referenced. This is a obvious test map, I guess it was for a guy named frank.
11. test_one
This was used for various test during development. This chunk and textures are on PC as well as PS3 (ps3 has a dedicated vpp for test_one).
12. sr2_intwaterway53np
This more than likely would have been another waterway tunnel/tunnel objects for the nuke plant. It more than likely was removed due to chunk redesign and or for performance reasons.
13. sr2_mp_sa_museum
This more than likely was a Strong Arm Test Map. Name wise it would have probably been the same or similar to the Parthenon MP map. String wise there is a strong arm test map reference - MULTI_LEVEL_BH_TEST, however I can't confirm if this was that test map or not.
14. sr2_chunk093_sl
The textures and chunk exist however Idk its purpose. It's placed in the projects district. The object names are called "hull", so maybe more objects/rubble? I'm really not sure.
15. sr2_chunk104_sl
The textures and chunk exist however Idk its purpose. It's placed in the projects district. The object names are called "hull", so maybe more objects/rubble? I'm really not sure.
16. sr2_chunk115_sl
17. sr2_chunk134_sl
The textures exist however Idk its purpose. It's placed in the downtown district.
18. sr2_chunk137_sl
The textures and chunk exist however Idk its purpose. It's a few random objects, sand, and a road, which chunk137 already has.
These aren't defined in cutscenes or anything. Some here are loaded in game but go unused.
1. sr2_intaicutjyucar
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with jyuinchies car with a red texture.
2. sr2_intaicutplane
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with the plane interior with simplistic textures.
3. sr2_intarcutel
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with the el train with the doors open.
4. sr2_intarcutlimo
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with the generals limo. It's very odd looking to say the least.
5. sr2_intarcutlocker
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This slightly differs from the locker room in game.
6. sr2_intbamishospital
I don't really have much info on this, it seems to be a very very barebones version of the hospital missing most of everything in it. It's unused I assume because it gets placed at origin 0 0 0 basically. I assume this was for cutscene test or some weird cutscene camera black magic.
7. sr2_intcuttvintro
This was used for the anna show intro basically, but is not in the actual game world.
8. sr2_intdkmissunkdk
This is the beta sunken dock chunk as seen in early dev chunk map images. I think this version was for cutscenes or testing because it has its own skybox and water plane.
9. sr2_intsecutlaura
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with Laura's house.
10. sr2_intsrcutnewsrm
I don't know where this gets used it's just a black box with a screen, it does however spawn in the game.
11. sr2_mp_lobby04
This is a unused version of the mp map hangar with slight differences, but instead it was going to be a MP lobby map.
12. sr2_chunk094_cstv
This is used in "Early Parole" however the interior is never seen. The interior is a Pawn Shop, I assume it was intended for the unused activity theft.
13. sr2_chunk083_pwn
The interior is a Pawn Shop, I assume it was intended for the unused activity theft.
14. sr2_chunk170_pwn
The interior is a Pawn Shop, I assume it was intended for the unused activity theft.
15. sr2_intprcuthealthclinic
This is either a cutscene test chunk, or some weird cutscene camera black magic. This is a chunk with the health clinic from a insurance fraud cutscene, however it's more simplistic and differs from the one actually used in game.
16. sr2_intsrmiselstat
This is the beta train station interior chunk as seen in early dev chunk map images.
17. sr2_mp_gb_prison
This was basically a test version of the "Cellblock" xbox 360 DLC map.
This version uses the "Riot" variant of the prison, while the xbox 360 version uses the default variant.
This one can be made playable with a "custom" city_pc file.
1. sr2_chunk127_ph
Pool Hall
2. sr2_chunk071_nc
On Track Nightclub
3. sr2_chunk182_pm
Price Mansion
4. sr2_chunk115_pmp
Snatch Interior (Open Legs Lodge)
5. sr2_chunk103_vk1
Vice Kings Warehouse
6. sr2_chunk104_loft
Sunnyvale Loft Stronghold
7. sr2_chunk070_pmp
Barrio Snatch Interior (Doesn't load right, culling issues?)
8. sr2_intsrcuthospital
MP Code Blue
This is only part of the code blue mp map. Personally I don't think they had intentions of actually using code blue as a MP map in sr2.
The layout and it only being a small portion of code blue and the naming leads me to believe this more than likely was going to be used for insurance fraud.
9. sr2_chunk105_gar
This seems to be the chunk objects/collision from the arena garage storage units that used to be in the arena district.
10. sr2_chunk145_wh
This is a methlab interior in the "Amberbrook Port Shipping Co. - Downtown District" if you want to go off the building name in sr2. In SR1 this building was called "Durden Logistics".
11. sr2_chunk170_ms
This is "Scratch That", while it is a sr1 left over and goes unused it is shown in the sr2 dev chunk map, so it was planned then scrapped. Will assume it was scrapped in favor of putting a music store in the suburbs expansion.
12. sr2_chunk135_gs
This is the sr1 version of the downtown friendly fire.

Last edited:
this is so fucking cool i'm obsessed with the beta sunken dock and the unused pawn shop interiors. would've loved to see the docks in an even worse shape than in the final game. thank you for documenting all this

this is so fucking cool i'm obsessed with the beta sunken dock and the unused pawn shop interiors. would've loved to see the docks in an even worse shape than in the final game. thank you for documenting all this
The sunken dock in general isn't in the final game, or well I mean it's not used at all in final. The Brotherhood HQ based dock is damaged as is but that's not the same dock.
Here is the sunken dock being shown off in even earlier sr2 builds (this sr2 build in this pic is not public)
There's alot to dissect here. SR1 anims being used, water level is way lower in this build, the minimap shows the dock in a non destroyed state.
Mission minimap icons are different, color tone seems different. @Janson dig some digging and came to the conclusion that this is basically a early-mid 2007 build of sr2 due to - Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM Magazine November 2007 Issue #221)
Beta Sunken Dock [From a actual beta build]  - Credits -  Andrew Borman.jpg

just saw that pic Borman posted, hope he'll be able to share more from these builds he has access to one day. V put such an emphasis on having these "disaster areas" in sr2 Stilwater during development, it's really cool to get a peek into just how far they were planning to go with them

just saw that pic Borman posted, hope he'll be able to share more from these builds he has access to one day. V put such an emphasis on having these "disaster areas" in sr2 Stilwater during development, it's really cool to get a peek into just how far they were planning to go with them
I rather him release the builds instead of flaunting them on his personal twitter acc. "tweets are his own" yet flaunts builds that he "doesn't own" he's heavily looked down upon. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy that he post stuff, but the fact that he never shares builds public or did shady backroom deals when covid hit and tried to justify his actions is just unacceptable. But I rather not go deep into that topic

The sunken dock in general isn't in the final game, or well I mean it's not used at all in final. The Brotherhood HQ based dock is damaged as is but that's not the same dock.
Here is the sunken dock being shown off in even earlier sr2 builds (this sr2 build in this pic is not public)
There's alot to dissect here. SR1 anims being used, water level is way lower in this build, the minimap shows the dock in a non destroyed state.
Mission minimap icons are different, color tone seems different. @Janson dig some digging and came to the conclusion that this is basically a early-mid 2007 build of sr2 due to - Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM Magazine November 2007 Issue #221)
View attachment 40841
Late 2007 Map For Context
2007map.png

This is so awesome, I wish they hadn't cut the pawn shop diversion but I can see why they did it seeing as stores in SR2 don't close at night like they do in SR1.

This has been majorly updated for the most part. I removed all the pics. I've since then made a video on the chunks I originally had pics of. The videos do it more justice than the pics did lol, anyways there's not much more to cover here. All I have left to add is chunk references that are left in the files that are not present at all in the game. I'll do that another day.

Back