Zombie apocalypse project

Hey guys I'm ImortalFalcon,

I'm new to the site, nice to see the mod community is up and running. I've been taking about 3 years worth of Game Design courses with all manner of modeling/level design/programming in between, so I'm not terribly new to the scene. Hopefully that adds a boon in my favor to what I'm about to dive into, but you are all the experts here, not I.

Anyway, now that the intro is all taken care of I'd like to discuss the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.

No not the real inevitable outbreak, the one in Steelport. Yes what I am referring to is the presence of zombies in Saints Row: The Third, more specifically the cheat code affectionately named "brains". It's loads of fun to blast these foul creatures back to the gates of Hades but what I see among the shuffling upright corpses is room for expansion.

What I hope to undertake is a project to better improve the experience of the undead onslaught. That being said this is a tentative list of what I hope to achieve. I haven't gotten the chance to fully delve into the files as of yet, so this is as much a list of what needs to be done on my part as it is a list of questions asking if they are even possible. So if any of these don't seem doable from your standpoint, let me know.

(Essential)
- Enable the 'Brains' cheat to be useable in co-op (As mentioned in the Gentlemen of Steelport list, only it's my top priority of things to do).
- Add/modify Pedestrian(zombie) spawning nodes in the streets as well as parking lots, interiors of buildings, grass/dirt terrain, rooftops, etc.

(Non-Essential, preferable)
- Add random living pedestrians/armed survivors fighting the horde around the city in "groups" or small sanctuaries.
- Add random cars to still be driving around aside from cops, only rarer and much less leisurely.

(Non-essential, non-necessary)
- Add an option/modify weather to be the greenish "virus cloud" hue as seen in the "Zombie Attack" mission, only all over Steelport.
- Add the ambient music from the same "Zombie Attack" mission to trigger at random intervals whilst surviving, as well as other fitting tracks.

(Non-Essential, insane)
- Add a "tower defense" type mechanic to the world, or perhaps Whored mode, or even some random 1000x1000 test site.
- Implement ability to place destructible dynamic objects (e.g. wooden/chain link fences) with a weapon/satchel charge at choke points.
- Add zombie aggro to dynamic objects, such as setting their aggro state to that of a Homie or similar method.

Now, some of the modding would be horrible out of context, such as peds spawning all over the place when they aren't zombies and virus clouds slathering the atmosphere when there obviously isn't a virus going around. So in a perfect world I'd like to add a toggleable client that would maintain the files back and forth between "Human snack-pack mode" to regular vanilla, but that might just have to stay in that perfect world.

I'll be enlisting the help of a few of my friends outside this community who's knowledge is comparable, if not exceeds my own in programming/design. But as the Game Industry is known for, experience > knowledge. So if any of you guys are interested in the idea or would like to help out, or even bash the entire practicality of this project, feel free to send me a PM or post here.

Heck, if all this is deemed moderately doable I might even move this to the 'Mods in Progress' sub-section.

Back