Confused about rope technology

Milkeno

Troll
From a screenshot like this where it wraps around like this you would assume that ropes in GOOH are just cylindrical meshes that are shaded smooth.
1728191528899.png

But checking here it looks like its using a weirdly clipping 2D rope-type like the ones in half-life 2 mixed with square meshes and light bulbs.
hoes.png

Any experts on rope technology willing to answer how these ropes were made?

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but my guess is that they appear cylindrical because they're technically a sprite that always face the player.
Like Twisted Metal 2, where this clown head will -always- look at your camera. It may also be called a "billboarding" sprite.
1728275692305.png

The "rope technology" appears even in Half-Life 1, for the tripmine & gauss gun lasers. I can guess that they're technically 2D planes with some sort of math to maintain their 3D appearance based on the camera's angle, but not the term. Hopefully that helps abit

The "rope technology" appears even in Half-Life 1, for the tripmine & gauss gun lasers. I can guess that they're technically 2D planes with some sort of math to maintain their 3D appearance based on the camera's angle, but not the term. Hopefully that helps abit
I found a Blender tool for billboarding that locks an object to one axis, so it always faces you vertically while still moving naturally around it—just like in GOOH.
1728333669752.png

1728333682175.png

Also flying around the map you can find these ropes:
1728334453708.png

it's hard to tell just from a image but these are triangular meshes, these ones were pretty easy to remake:
1728334501357.png

Here's the texture I used for both but these are just quick recreations and you can probably have better luck if you ripped them yourself:

graident.png
rope.png

Last edited:
Back