Does Volition/THQ support the modding community?

The most likely explanation is that they simply don't care, and make no effort to either help us or hinder us.

DICE also approved of BF2 modding, a while after it was released and has 100s of mods, I imagine something similar will happen to bf3 in a few years

Or they're not very good at coding to keep us out. :p

That's not true at all. Especially when it comes to companies like Bethesda. The Creation Kit isn't a modder created tool, it's stated in the description of it that it is the SAME tools that Devs use to create the games. And it's a known fact that Bethesda has always been very supportive of the mod community. Oh I just realized this is an old thread... meh, oh well.

Bethesda is verry mod-friendly. Look at Fallout (<3) and TES. It's so damn awesome.

Nadeo is also a nice example of mod support, they haven't released tools, because they simply aren't needed in their games. :p
Car meshes go as .3ds, character meshes go as .fbx, textures go as .dds or .tga, animated textures go as .bik, and sounds go as .ogg, not packed in anything like in most other games, actually custom creations get loaded through the "ManiaPlanet" (for ShootMania and Trackmania 2) or "Trackmania" (for Trackmania Nations/United Forever). Things such as dirt marks, buttons, etc go through the ManiaPlanet map (or through the SteamApps/common/...), or the Trackmania Nations/United Forever map in the program files.
Custom scripts (for weapons/maptypes/gamemodes) go as .Script.txt through the Documents/ManiaPlanet directory,

So, if you have programs like Paint.NET, notepad, 3dsmax (or blender with plugins), some tools to convert stuff to .bik, and an .ogg converter, you can mod say... 93% of the entire game.

ADD:
In their latest update they've added an importer for custom made character/block meshes too, they're making it too easy for us. :p

It's just that Nadeo isn't really known so much anyways, and they don't seem to give a shit about DRM either. ShootMania and TrackMania 2 stadium/canyon are their first steamworks and they barely use advertisement. The community in the games seems to be closer than in most other games though. All communities in TrackMania and ShootMania are connected with each other, despite the sites hosting all the custom made stuff, or the many many servers.
I complain about the bugs sometimes but all in all they're the best games I've ever bought. By far.

I know you probably know this by now, but in case anyone here doesn't, things have changed, and now Volition does actively support the modding community, all thanks to IdolNinja. :)

Back