Is Saints Row Modding Dead?

The site is going through a little down spell, but I have a feeling when the SDK is eventually released, it'll pick up again. People may leave, but they can come back, if the admins really work on keeping the community in touch. I help run a site "PlanetVampire" that caters to the Vampire the Masquerade PC games. As an admin, I communicate and promote the mods of others through the site, FB and other means. Our community as a whole is rather fragmented through various sites, but we're doing damn good, considering that a VTM PC game hasn't come out since October of 2004. If the admins work to keep the community together by creating excitement and bringing people together and the community keeps creating content, you'll give people another reason to re-install the games. I use SMF, but I'd be surprised of the forum here didn't have a newsletter service to directly contact people via email when a big mod comes out, or something exciting happens. It's not over, it'll change, but it's up to everyone to want to keep some fire ignited around the games and each other. On my site, most of my promoting ect is so my friends I've known for almost 14 years don't drift apart. You could probably use a little more of that here, figuring out who's going to fill the communicative void left when Idol got the gig at Volition.

I really love these games and the Saints Row series, it's the only reason I was crazy enough to put hundreds of hours of free work into SR3 and 4! I really would like to believe that Mr. Watson and the rest of the Volition staff won't just give up, but after endless promises for the new GoS version that never arrived, I don't know what to think.

If the SDK is finally released, I'm sure this community will see a renaissance of sorts as modders from other communities flock here to create content. Hell, I'd probably spend hundreds of more hours making new content as well. We're all counting on you guys at Volition to make it happen! Seeing as it's all being done in your spare time and is a huge undertaking, it's understandable that releasing an SDK for a game that wasn't designed with one in mind will take quite a while to get stable. Once it's here, I'm sure we can make some great things.

It's our time now! Let's get this shit started!

...Eventually.

I can honestly say I am not trying to be a downer or anything with very little news about the sdk I sometimes wonder is it even going to release at all soon and on top of that what makes me think this is how volition hasn't updated sr4 for 2 months I think its going onto 3 months. Because sr4 still has bugs that are still not been patched out since day 1 and bugs that started with previous patchs and all and they left some bugs in sr3 which I am really starting to think did they stop updating sr4 and went onto what ever else there working on.

I can honestly say I am not trying to be a downer or anything with very little news about the sdk I sometimes wonder is it even going to release at all soon and on top of that what makes me think this is how volition hasn't updated sr4 for 2 months I think its going onto 3 months. Because sr4 still has bugs that are still not been patched out since day 1 and bugs that started with previous patchs and all and they left some bugs in sr3 which I am really starting to think did they stop updating sr4 and went onto what ever else there working on.

Valid points, but I'm thinking a little harder about Idol's last post in this thread. Yeah, it's a bad Bon Jovi song, nothing even close to the quality of anything off of "New Jersey" or "Slippery when Wet", but I digress. Deep Silver paid $22m for the Saints Row franchise. Do you think SR4 is truly the last of the series, even though has been said? In a recent interview, Jim Boone said Volition is working on a new project, but are experimenting with different engines and wouldn't be able to say anything until some time after E3 this year. One part of this interview posted below:

Combining all these things, with the Jay Mohr statement, leads me to the conspiracy theory that perhaps another SR game is in the works. I don't put too much into the Mohr statement, because if they are truly still experimenting with engines, I doubt they are doing voice work already.

This leads me to another conspiratorial issue, Idol himself. I haven't read anywhere where Idol has said what he's doing for Volition. He gave his real name in he Mod Diary clip on youtube and his name nor position are listed in the staff directory in Volition's site.

Putting all of this together, I'm thinking when Idol says "Keep the Faith", he knows more than what he's able to say and Volition perhaps has a longer term horse in the race (not Zimos this time) and will follow through with the promise for the SDK, if for no other reason as to keep the loyal fans happy that will likely buy the next SR game.

*Childe of Malkav steps off soap box*

Yeah, the SDK is probably going to take a while, probably valve-time...after all, these guys do this in their spare time, but I reckon it's probably going to be forgotten by a lot of people, then suddenly everyone's getting their hands on the SDK that we've all been waiting for and watch as several hundred mods come out for SR3...eheheh.

On a side note, why is it that if I go to www.saintsrowmods.com it redirects me to a picture of an eye, but if i go to https://saintsrowmods.com, it's all fine o_O

Back