Npc color change (xenia) or reverse crunch cvtf back to an xtbl

The TL;DR version:
I want to change the police colors and give the swats the helmet model(masako but with swat textures) on xenia using only xtbl files or a technique that won't freeze the game like reverse-crunching a cvtf back to an xtbl.

The detailed story:
So I managed to mod the stillwater beat cops colors to have an NYPD look to them thanks to piggybacking off of Punished Uncle Sludge's sr1 cop xtbl's and converting them into cvtf files.

The issue is that technique only works for the PC version, but with the constant crashing it's known for(especially on outfit selection) even with gotr and optimization tweaks, I'd like to see if I can rather use it on the xenia edition instead since it's more stable.

Now as most of us should know xenia isn't really cooperative about tweaking anything beyond the xtbl, and my attempt at replacing the cvtf files in cmeshes_npc.vcc_xbox2 causing a freeze 3 seconds into game play proves this well. My ask for the community is if they know a way to change npc clothing to have specific colors using only xtbl files or even a possible reverse crunch of cvtf to xtbl to see if I can tweak it that way?

Update: One technique I'll probably try is to add the custom coloration into the npc cmeshes as a separate set of cvtf files rather than replace them since adding extra cvtf files alone doesn't freeze the game, then see what I need to rename in misc_tables_startup and check if it fixes itself. In the mean time, I've never seen anyone reverse-crunch cvtf to xtbls because I'm sure there's a bracket of code that only xbox2 will read.

Last edited:
Back