Current Version: 1.0.0

With this series of .txt files, you will learn all about Saints Row 2's NPC related files.

You will learn how to change the colours of the items an NPC wears, change their gameplay voice, filter in-game appearance by gender/race/character type, force specific outfit variants, change a character's model, change a character's animation set, set which gang the character belongs to, change spawning conditions, change a character's height and height variability, fix a prop to a character's left hand, and much more!

CONTENTS:
1. PC-NPC-SNPC-CNPC-CS Differences
2. Files Overview
3. Preset Files
4. Character Files
5. Design Files

6. Variant Table Files
7. How To Use Volition's NPC Table Cruncher

I am open to suggestions on how this guide can be improved. There are things here and there I'm not entirely certain on (like <MetaGame>). If you feel you can contribute, then feel free to let me know below in this thread.

Resources:
"Shaundi's Secret Stash - NPC Table Cruncher" by Volition
"Editing .sim_pc files." by Moff - I've no experience with Blender, but this might be useful for those who do. Bear in mind, this was made for SR4, and might not work for SR2's .sim_pc files.

Attachments

• NPC Editing Guide v1.0.0.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 37
Kind of related to this, so I'm going to use these 4 characters as examples: Shaundi, Pierce, Carlos and Gat, are there faces more or less made with the character creator? or are they like Wong, Wong's translator and Troy were there faces look custom made for the characters themselves?

I can't say for sure how their facial morphs were made, but their textures and normal maps are certainly unique to them.
In player_creation.xtbl, there are morph keys for their morph presets ("morph keys" being the morphs at either end of a slider. eg: Skinny to Fat). (I meant to see if I could get those to work for the Playa, but forgot all about it.) So I would imagine they were made with the same system as everyone else. But who knows? 🤔

Edit: I've since tested the Story Character Morph Keys, but couldn't get them to work.

Last edited:
I can't say for sure how their facial morphs were made, but their textures and normal maps are certainly unique to them.
In player_creation.xtbl, there are morph keys for their morph presets ("morph keys" being the morphs at either end of a slider. eg: Skinny to Fat). (I meant to see if I could get those to work for the Playa, but forgot all about it.) So I would imagine they were made with the same system as everyone else. But who knows? 🤔
Was hoping that they weren't super unique like the regular npcs because it would be cool to create an almost identical copy in the creator, throughout the years people have come close with these characters but there's usually something little that's off compared to the original characters.

Back