Saints Row IV SR3 modding SDK resources legal issues?

So, i'm not really a pro modder, I just like to play with SDKs.

But I was wondering, if, for exemple, I want to "rebuild" the Saint crib penthouse in SR4 simulation using the SR3 model or spawning the daedalus using the same methode... I suppose it may not be authorised right?
Because there is no way to know if the player installing the mod legally own both games.

THE QUESTION IS (yeah because at some points I have to ask something) :
Are you guys planning to release some sorte of "SR4 modders update ressource pack of awesomeness" ?
With SR3 content legally available in SR4, and maybe other things you made but never used...

Because, let's face the facts here, it will happen... maybe not in this forum but... Niko Bellic ripped model into SR4 will happen somewhere else!

So why not giving us some good and legal news by letting us play with SR3 ressources right from the start?

Valve did something similar to this where they eventually ported over all of Left 4 Dead 1's assets into L4D2 and the L4D2 Authoring Tools.

Well, the saints crib penthouse (i'm assuming the Saints HQ) is in the game itself, if you did pierce's loyalty mission.

We have discussed this at length with Volition, and they have told us that modding resources in from other Saints Row PC games is okay, so port away!

There are a couple of things to be careful of though:
* Circumventing console security is not something we can allow, so the original Saints Row assets are off limits.
* Music is copyrighted, so porting over radio stations from one game to another is not something we would allow on the forum
* It would be an issue if the mod was something like a full fledged port. For example, if someone ported Saints Row 2 with all the missions intact into the SRTT or SRIV engine, then there would be legal issues. But, if someone ported just Stilwater, the cars, and the gangs then that's something that's okay.

Last edited:
That's some really good news!
Thx!

* Music is copyrighted, so porting over radio stations from one game to another is not something we would allow on the forum
Could this be why they didn't have an official "USERS FM" or something to play user tracks? And wouldn't this be pretty much sidestepped if anyone makes a mod that allows this?

* It would be an issue if the mod was something like a full fledged port. For example, if someone ported Saints Row 2 with all the missions intact into the SRTT or SRIV engine, then there would be legal issues. But, if someone ported just Stilwater, the cars, and the gangs then that's something that's okay.
So pretty much anything that's not missions or music?

Could this be why they didn't have an official "USERS FM" or something to play user tracks? And wouldn't this be pretty much sidestepped if anyone makes a mod that allows this?

No, that has nothing to do with it at all. In fact, One of the Volition is currently putting together an audio SDK so we can all easily use our own music.

No, that has nothing to do with it at all. In fact, One of the Volition is currently putting together an audio SDK so we can all easily use our own music.
I know even one dev wanted something like a USERS FM, but I said that because I know one game wanted to do this as well, but was afraid of legal issues becasue they can't control the music that the players would use.. or something.

I know even one dev wanted something like a USERS FM, but I said that because I know one game wanted to do this as well, but was afraid of legal issues becasue they can't control the music that the players would use.. or something.
Was this an online game? I believe that running your own music in a game would be covered under fair use, but if another player can hear the music you may need public performance permissions.

Back