Volition FBX to Game Converter - WIP

I was just about to ask you what program that was, I remembered the format but couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

The program he's using in the screenshots is actually Maya 3d if that's what you meant. However, Blender is also a nice tool, especially since its latest update!

It's been a while since my last check in, but if any of you follow IdolNinja then you will know that we have some further news!

jDt3OfF.png

(Yes thats the roboblaster texture, but that bug should be stomped out swiftly.)

EDIT: Check out that swiftness.

C2SZwn9.jpg

Last edited:
I've done more updates on the converter and significant progress has been made on the cruncher side. We will have more to share soon.

I've tested 3dsmax and Maya exporting. I have yet to test Blender. I did look into some documentation for Blender but haven't yet determined which version of the FBX SDK the exporter plugin is using. I'm hopeful it will be compatible.

I just read this article on blender.org, which states that blender will finally be capable of exporting binary version 7.4 FBX files as of the next release and felt like sharing it with you...

I just read this article on blender.org, which states that blender will finally be capable of exporting binary version 7.4 FBX files as of the next release and felt like sharing it with you...
Thanks for the link flow754. I saw this guy has been actively working on the fbx tools for Blender. Thats a huge plus. Hopefully it will be able to capture everything we need for importing and exporting. I'm actually surprised the FBX support wasn't a more prominent thing what with indie game development and Blender being a free tool, etc. Still promising news either way.

Some updates here. @Donhonk has been helping us work through some bugs with the converter tool and crunchers. He's been given our weapon templates and has been working to create a custom version of each type. We've fixed some things in the process with pretty much each type he has recreated. We recently fixed a bone skin-weighting issue to make sure custom weapons with similarly setup bones were skinning and animating properly with the existing in game weapon animations. What this mean is if you make a weapon similar to an in-game weapon that has firing animations, those animations should be at some level compatible with your custom weapon. Just to reiterate we will be releasing weapon templates or fbx files of all the meshes and textures for each weapon class that is used in game. With these you will be able to use those templates to modify existing weapons or build your own version using those as guides.

We are currently trying to squeak out some new bugs that bubbled up the other day but i'm hopeful we'll have something soon.

Just to reiterate we will be releasing weapon templates or fbx files of all the meshes and textures for each weapon class that is used in game. With these you will be able to use those templates to modify existing weapons or build your own version using those as guides.
Is that mean that you are working on decoding all model files to import models in 3d modelling programm and then save it like working model in fbx format for other people? Or you guys are trying to create some programm which will convert files with models to fbx and then people will be able to edit this fbx and convert exported models back to the game format?

We have all the source model files converted to FBX for the community to use in whatever 3d application that supports fbx, which is of course most of them. You can modify them and then run through the converter tool and put right back into the game.

We have all the source model files converted to FBX for the community to use in whatever 3d application that supports fbx, which is of course most of them. You can modify them and then run through the converter tool and put right back into the game.
Thank you for your answer. By the way, is that mean converter tool can only convert FBX files to source or it can convert source to FBX too?

Back