What's Seabound up to?...

Just wondering when you write your turorial will you include a section on adding variants?
Sorry for the late reply. I've been having technical issues due to recent bad weather.

Yes. I will be covering the structure of Variant elements and how to add new ones, but it is rarely possible to actually do so.

Not every item can have new Variants added. A good example is "Women's Pleated Dress Capris" and "Women's Pleated Dress Slacks". While they are virtually the same item, only the Capris can have the Plaid Variant applied. Trying to add it to the Slacks has no effect.

I'm unsure if all that's needed to make this work is adding the Plaid texture to the Slacks' .peg files. I'd have thought there's more to it than that because the game also needs to be told how to apply that texture to the mesh, which could require modding the .cmesh files, which is not possible with current modding tools.

Afaik, the only way IdolNinja could have known about hidden Variants was to find NPCs which use them. For example; The "Police" Variant of "Biker Helmet" is used by the "Bike Cop" in npc_cop.xtbl. The name of the "Police" Variant/Material for the "Biker Helmet" can be found in the Bike Cop's Materials List. It could then be added to customization_items.xtbl (if it wasn't there already).
(Yes. The use of the terms "Variant" and "Material" for different things is confusing.)

Somewhat related to this; I'm also half-working on a separate clothing textures patch, which endeavours to fix some overdone material (fabric) textures and reduce ugly baked-in shadows. It also fixes some Variant textures, like the "Two Color" Variant of "Women's Halter Swimtop":
WomensHalterSwimtop_TwoColor_Fix.png

Thank you for the reply.

I was actually thinking about the Emt patch. I mentioned previously that I was having trouble getting it on both shoulders and in my mind I was thinking that might be becauss it need a B variant
Since it only has L and R. But the more I think about it might not be a variant issue, it might be a mesh issue. Of course I can be wrong in both assumptions. As I'm sure you can tell Vaiants and Meshes are not my strong points.

Here are the textures for the EMT Patch meshes:
cmx02_uemtstuff_d.tga_0.pngcmx02_uemtstuff_n.tgn_0.pngcmx02_uemtstuff_p.tga_0.png

There's only one Variant texture (the one on the right).

The way I got them both to work simultaneously is by separating the Wear_Options into two separate Items. So now there's the Left EMT Patch for the Left Wrist, and the Right EMT Patch for the Right Wrist.

Thank you for posting this. I'm still fairly ignorant when it comes to modding the customization_items.xtbl
But I'll learn by practice. About the only thing I have managed at the moment is moving the stalagtite
hat to socks and then combining it and the men's straw hat to make a witches hat. Still small victories are
victories nonetheless.

Back