Is Saints Row Modding Dead?

This leads me to another conspiratorial issue, Idol himself. I haven't read anywhere where Idol has said what he's doing for Volition. He gave his real name in he Mod Diary clip on youtube and his name nor position are listed in the staff directory in Volition's site.
If I recall correctly he is Volition's Community Manager.

I don't recall it being mentioned elsewhere, so I haven't wanted to say. It's not my job to reveal that information. I think you can put the tin foil hat away. This isn't quite "fake moon landing" material. It's a guy with a job at a game company.

edit: The moon landing is real. Community manager is the correct answer. So his job is to be the main connection between players and development.

Last edited:
I don't recall it being mentioned elsewhere, so I haven't wanted to say. It's not my job to reveal that information. I think you can put the tin foil hat away. This isn't quite "fake moon landing" material. It's a guy with a job at a game company.

edit: The moon landing is real. Community manager is the correct answer. So his job is to be the main connection between players and development.
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/volitions-new-community-manager.4919/

I knew about being community manager, however I assumed his role changed because he didn't say publicly he would need to physically relocate to perform that role. I was also being kinda nutty on purpose, but I shouldn't have assumed people would have got the Vampire the Masquerade Malkavian reference at the end. They are the insane vampire clan who presumably have crazy insight yada yada yada. I also love tinfoil because it's shiny.

The thing about modding is, simply put, you can only do so many retextures and script changes until it gets boring. When you're limited to what you can 'add-in' you limit modders replayability. Same thing happened with FC, was nice and hot when the game launched same old weapon enhancements, overall retextures and unlockables. Basically, GIMP a few things and play in the scripts for a bit. Once people played with that and got the game how they liked and maybe done a few requests, that's it. Take TES for example now, you have the ability to throw in models, customize map layouts, sounds, all the goodies and the community is still quite strong. Hell, not too long ago I was working with some folks on a complete overhaul of that game to fit around the Inheritance Cycle series. All new NPCs, models, voices and a whole new world. New Vegas is still going too last I noticed.

So when you limit what can be modified you limit yourself to a small and brief community that WILL move on to other things.

The thing about modding is, simply put, you can only do so many retextures and script changes until it gets boring. When you're limited to what you can 'add-in' you limit modders replayability. Same thing happened with FC, was nice and hot when the game launched same old weapon enhancements, overall retextures and unlockables. Basically, GIMP a few things and play in the scripts for a bit. Once people played with that and got the game how they liked and maybe done a few requests, that's it. Take TES for example now, you have the ability to throw in models, customize map layouts, sounds, all the goodies and the community is still quite strong. Hell, not too long ago I was working with some folks on a complete overhaul of that game to fit around the Inheritance Cycle series. All new NPCs, models, voices and a whole new world. New Vegas is still going too last I noticed.

So when you limit what can be modified you limit yourself to a small and brief community that WILL move on to other things.
It would be epic if you could mod sr games like sky rim then everyone would love the sr series even more but I don't see that dream in any world ever happening just a dream that everyone wishes for sadly :( Maybe the sdk might have it but I don't foresee it having it .

Ah, good job spotting that. I looked around to see where it might have been mentioned and missed that thread. There were a couple of others where it wasn't.

Actually, in that very post you reference, Idol said "The most important thing is that this forum, my modding work, and idolninja.com will all be something I do as a fan, and not a Volition representative. So, nothing is really going to be changing at all, other than the fact that I'll have actual job responsibilities managing and interacting with the fans on the official forum and the Steam community hub."

This makes me feel he could have a new position with Volition, not community manager. He didn't have to change his tag to "Volition Staff" and stop being an admin here until he moved from Vegas to Illinois for this new position. Minimaul even called it a new position in the announcement thread and Idol announced it as news that he was relocating as a result of accepting a full time position: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/idolninja-moving-on-up.6220/

The Witcher 2 is a good example of what happens when the wait is too long, when they finally got around to releasing an SDK for that people had moved on and not much use was made of it. I'm not criticising Volition, the decision to support modding came quite late in the day, they can't be expected to magic one up out of nowhere, maybe the next game will be better? It's worth doing, Morrowind is still selling after nearly 13 years and that's down to the modding scene.

Back