Retexturing Saints Row IV, For Dummies

For that, you'd want to edit specular maps.

Is there a numerical value to alter for specularity? I mean, according to what little I know of 3d, specularity maps are rendered useless if you set their value to zero (the maps are there but the material gets dull/opaque), but I have no clue about how SRIV handles material nodes.

Is there a numerical value to alter for specularity? I mean, according to what little I know of 3d, specularity maps are rendered useless if you set their value to zero (the maps are there but the material gets dull/opaque), but I have no clue about how SRIV handles material nodes.

You can ask superdemus how he made the character clothes shiny in this thread. Instead of setting the value to something high try changing it to 0 which should turn off the shininess.

Do I have to check "Generate Mipmaps" before saving ? ^^
I've never had to! But then again, I don't even technically know what mipmaps are. If you wait a couple hours I'm sure someone will show up with a better answer, but in the meantime... nope, don't bother. :)

I've never had to! But then again, I don't even technically know what mipmaps are. If you wait a couple hours I'm sure someone will show up with a better answer, but in the meantime... nope, don't bother. :)
Thanks for the fast reply o/

mipmaps (also MIP maps) are pre-calculated, optimized collections of images that accompany a main texture, intended to increase rendering speed and reduce aliasing artifacts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

Basically they are smaller versions of the original texture created and stored within the original image, designed, as stated, to make your game look better and display faster. These MIP textures take the place of the normal texture when viewing objects at a distance.

I just wanna say thank you so much for these tutorials! You're a freaking life saver.
Without you I could never do anything.
Cheers.

I just wanna say thank you so much for these tutorials! You're a freaking life saver.
Without you I could never do anything.
Cheers.

Hooray! I'm so excited that people are actually using this, so thanks for letting me know that you are! I made this hoping to save a few people from the process I went through, and I guess it's working! :D

ok ive followed this guide and its works great but i cant get the transparency to work. can some one explain what i need to change in the texture files?

Back