Retexturing Saints Row IV, For Dummies

A tip when you're adding details to your custom textures: if you want such details to look engraved/embossed into the cloth, you'll have to add them on the displacement/bump map as well. These maps have a _n_ in their names (like in cf_lp35i_lbdy_f_strapslegs_n.tga). Don't worry, they're unpacked by default so it's easy to locate them. They are greenish/reddish, pretty ugly to look at when you open them.

Now, I'll assume you're working with layers when editing your textures. Once you're done with your diffuse/color map, save it and convert it to .dds as per tutorial but don't flatten your image or discard any layer yet. Open the displacement map, you'll notice their size is different. Write down the displacement map's size and apply it to the diffuse map (uncheck constraint proportions or any similar function; enter it manually). Select the layers containing the added details and duplicate them to the displacement map. 9 times out of 10, the copied layers will be right where they need to be; desaturate the new layers and you're done. You can now save it as .dds and the DOS utility will repack it.

Note: remember to return the diffuse map to its original size, otherwise SRIV will start to act up and you'll get frozen menus, missing clothes, etc. Or, just don't save after converting it to .dds.

I have attached two files as examples: the first one is the Apocalypse Pants' diffuse map, it has a fleur de lis on the holster, the second is its bump map with the same symbol.

Hope somebody will find it useful.
I use Photoshop but GIMP will do the trick (just don't ask me about it, I find GIMP's UI messy as hell :D).

Attachments

• ApoPantsDiffuse.jpg
    ApoPantsDiffuse.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 444
  • ApoPantsBump.jpg
    ApoPantsBump.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
@Konrann Might I make a suggestion? There are several places in the OP where you say 'file' and I think you really mean 'folder'. Since you wrote this as a tutorial, for the sake of clarity, you may wish to copy the OP into a text editor, search for the word 'file' and change it to 'folder' where appropriate.

@Konrann Might I make a suggestion? There are several places in the OP where you say 'file' and I think you really mean 'folder'. Since you wrote this as a tutorial, for the sake of clarity, you may wish to copy the OP into a text editor, search for the word 'file' and change it to 'folder' where appropriate.
Fair enough, that makes sense. I've updated the tutorial and replaced about 10 misuses of the word "file." For some reason, the worst of this was that I kept referring to the "Saints Row IV file." Thanks for pointing this out! Let me know if it looks better.

Last edited:
Fair enough, that makes sense. I've updated the tutorial and replaced about 10 misuses of the word "file." For some reason, the worst of this was that I kept referring to the "Saints Row IV file." Thanks for pointing this out! Let me know if it looks better.

Almost. There are still a few things I think you should fix.

Let's start by finding your Saints Row IV files on your computer. It They should be located at, or somewhere similar to:
C: > Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > Saints Row IV
You're referring to multiple files, so you should use 'they', not 'it'.

Now, copy two files from your "custmesh" folder you extracted in the last step. You'll need the one that ends in "cpeg_pc" and the one that ends in "gpeg_pc." Paste those bad boys into the folder with the tools you just saved. (To be clear, the cpeg_pc file, and gpeg_pc file cpeg_pc, gpeg_pc, and the exe files you just downloaded should all be in the same file folder, right next to each other.)

If this is your first time modding anything from the customize_item packfile, copy and paste the "customize_item.asm_pc" file into your Saints Row IV program file folder. It should be in the same place as the exe file that runs the game.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Almost. There are still a few things I think you should fix.

You're referring to multiple files, so you should use 'they', not 'it'.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good.

You're a nitpicker but I like it! I've read over my tutorial so many times that I lost the ability to proofread it, so I appreciate the help. :D

You're a nitpicker but I like it! I've read over my tutorial so many times that I lost the ability to proofread it, so I appreciate the help. :D

Can I make a complaint then!!

"Bonus: User Arcayne suggests"

That should read arkayn

Just noticed more stuff. (I'm proofreading the guide as I follow it)
Step 9: Repacking the Texture File (Pt. 2)

Now, we're going to need one of those tools that you saved in your Saints Row IV folder earlier. Open up "ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildPackfile.GUI".
The name of the file is actually ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildPackfileGUI.exe
And also, to be correct, ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe is the full name of the application used in step 2.
Windows, by default, hides known file extensions like .exe for some goofy reason, probably in some attempt to please novice computer users. Since this is meant to be a tutorial for such people, I'm not sure if you want to change it.

If you want to fix this for yourself, go to the control panel->Classic View->Folder Options. Click on the 'View' tab and there should be a list of check boxes under Advanced settings. One of these should be 'Hide extensions for known file types' or something. Uncheck that.

Make sure you have "Update asm_pc?" checked off. Browse for and select the "Customize_Item.asm_pc" file that you copied into your Saints Row IV folder. This will ensure that the asm_pc file is updated as you repack your STR2_PC file.
'Checked off' is ambiguous. A checkbox is either checked or unchecked.

(Optional) Step 10: Whoops, You Fucked Up

Did things not go as planned? Is your texture not showing up in the game? Well here's a list of important details to double check:
  • Did you rename any files? No names should be changed except the removal of the ".STR2_PC" from your "custmesh" file folder.

Last edited:
Back