THQ's Smoked!

honestly, we could've gotten a whooooooooole lot worse

I enjoyed Dead Island (while others didn't), and it isn't even Deep Silver that got Volition, it's the guys that own them (I've noticed people on other sites unable to distinguish between the two), so maybe Volition will be in better hands with them than they were with THQ?

The piece you're missing is that Deep Silver is Koch Media's game publishing division. Deep Silver will be the ones releasing all of Volition's future titles.

Sounds like Saints Row and Volition are staying together, that is a good thing.

I couldn't care less about the whole statue thing with Dead Island. Much worse happens every day. Like the Mercedes Benz super bowl ad that uses Kate Upton's rack to sell cars. So. Whatever.

Volition is staying with the SR franchise. The question though is who is behind making the games what they are? More than that, are they still with Volition, and will they stay there? Relic's had people jump ship already, one of the leads going to Activision. Sure changing companies isn't abnormal in the business, but during something like this it is. Maybe they were bailing from Sega?

Well, that part is over with. The biggest thing now is the same as before, we see how much free reign and independence the companies keep when they develop another game, and if they'll be allowed to develop said game.

Interesting how the South Park license was sold, considering THQ isn't exactly the original owners. Must've been a transferable 'right to make these games' that was sold off, regardless of the actual owners of South Park's wishes.

Relic going to Sega is probably the best that would have happened for them.

Interesting how the South Park license was sold, considering THQ isn't exactly the original owners. Must've been a transferable 'right to make these games' that was sold off, regardless of the actual owners of South Park's wishes.

The license changed hands. Kind of like how if you want to make a racing game with Porsche in it, you need to license it from EA. Since EA owns the exclusive licensing rights for Porsche products in video games; even though Porsche is obviously their own brand.

Sounds like Saints Row and Volition are staying together, that is a good thing.

I couldn't care less about the whole statue thing with Dead Island. Much worse happens every day. Like the Mercedes Benz super bowl ad that uses Kate Upton's rack to sell cars. So. Whatever.

I think that there's a difference. The Dead Island statue, named "Zombie Bait", cuts off a woman's limbs leaving gory stumps except for a perfect pair of plastic surgeon fake breasts. The statement that it makes (intentional or not) is that this feature is the only redeeming quality of worth on a woman and reinforces misogyny.

TychoChelchuuu on the PA forums explains this far more eloquently than I can
TychoChelchuu said:
But sexist media does arise from, cause, and reinforce misogyny and other negative effects. I guess you don't believe it, but it does. We've talked about it in this thread already a bit, and I linked things like Killing Us Softly, but I'll break it down again:

When women are sexually objectified like this, it sends the message that what matters about women is their sexual attractiveness, not their other characteristics, and certainly violence against them doesn't matter as long as their sexually attractive parts remain undamaged for men to ogle. These kinds of attitudes make young girls feel like they have to change their body to conform to societal ideas of attractiveness if they ever want to be seen as valuable, they make men feel justified in dismissing or ignoring women who are unattractive, they license attitudes towards gendered violence that hold that violence against women is normal and unremarkable, and so on. This is why these kinds of statues are damaging and shouldn't be made in the context of a collector's edition of a zombie video game.

In addition, the videogame industry has a long and sordid history of misogyny and treating women developers like dirt. #1reasonwhy exposes this kind of treatment with hundreds of female developers responding with their thoughts on why there is a lack of women in the industry and giving personal examples of the hurdles they face on a daily basis:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/1reasonwhy-reveals-sexism-gaming-industry_n_2205204.html

It's easy to casually dismiss something that doesn't affect you personally. The statue is an egregious example of the casual misogynistic attitude that holds sway over our industry, and is actually a symptom of this much larger problem. As gamers, I think we all need to start to at least consider the bigger picture. Do we really want to support these kind of socially accepted norms that keep women from being treated as true equals?

CHAMPAIGN — Koch Media was the winning bidder for Volition Inc., the Champaign-based video game studio, according to court documents filed Wednesday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.
The European company, which owns the Deep Silver video studio in Larkspur, Calif., bid $22,312,925 for the assets of Volition, best known for creating the "Saints Row" line of video games.
Koch Media easily outbid Ubisoft, which entered a $5.4 million bid for Volition.
Volition's general manager, Dan Cermak, who was in Delaware for the auction, said it appears the studio will remain in Champaign and the future looks "very positive" for Volition under Koch Media.
"I haven't had a chance to sit down with (Koch officials) except for a few moments, and they were very positive," Cermak said in an email shortly after the bid results were released.
"They love Saints Row and are very happy to own its creator," he said, adding that "Volition is not moving."
Volition employs about 200, most of them at offices in the One Main Plaza building in downtown Champaign.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/co...volition-chief-sees-very-positive-future.html

good to hear that, so far, things are looking good for Volition

There seems to be some confusion over what IPs are coming with Volition. It looks like it's only Saints Row and nothing else:
przechwytywaniems.jpg

Back