THQ's Smoked!

Here's hoping they kept the geomod tech.

Better Koch than EA, but still not the perfect bidder for a takeover.

Oh no doubt, if it were EA we would have to have a persistent online connection with some spyware app to provide in-game advertising or some BS. I'm glad ubisoft, activision and EA didn't get their hands on it. How koch media will deal with SR4 we can only wait and see i guess.

Well.
It will be interesting to see how the fourth installation of the Saints Row series pans out.

I always felt that THQ rushed SR:TT out of the "oven". It had damn good flavor, but it was half baked.

INFINITE GEARS!!!
You all know the rest.

Mind you, for a developer heading towards the Quasar, SR:TT was not too bad.

Koch Media?
Lets wait and see.

Oh no doubt, if it were EA we would have to have a persistent online connection with some spyware app to provide in-game advertising or some BS. I'm glad ubisoft, activision and EA didn't get their hands on it. How koch media will deal with SR4 we can only wait and see i guess.
It's EA, not Ubisoft.

Yeah, Ubisoft is the 'always online' DRM. EA is the '3 installs ever' DRM.

I know it's tough to keep them straight :p

Well, I guess we'll have to see what happens with the other properties. Stuff isn't just abandoned, it doesn't happen. They NEVER EVER let stuff hit the public domain in the industry if they can help it. Even a game 30 years old and that hasn't been sold in stores or published for 25, and was made by a developer who doesn't exist for a publisher who doesn't exist. The new holder of the rights keeps a tight grip, because of the fact that since they paid some money, they assume there's a value to it, even if they can't find one.
Simple psychology. The value is extrinsic, in how they paid money to get it, so they value it highly with more money.

Let's just hope Koch and Volition avoid some of that, and they understand the value is in the game itself, not in how much it can be 'worth as a brand name'. There's some of that, but the latter leads to crap, the former leads to games.

as ive been reading deep silver has taken the weight off and has given all the time needed for sr4 to be a great release, i just hope they go back to the roots of the game dont want it to end up being a GTA life like game.

April date set for auctioning off the rest of THQ's assets:
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-huge-chunk-of-thq-s-remaining-properties-up-for-/1100-4588/

Giant Bomb said:
The auctions are broken out into six lots, four of which are franchise specific. The Red Faction, MX vs. ATV, Darksiders, and Homeworld franchises will all be purchasable separately (and include rights to all previous games released in those series), while a potpourri selection of other random games/franchises--including the likes of Destroy All Humans!, de Blob, Titan Quest, Deepak Chopra's Leela, recent Worms games, Costume Quest, and yes, even uDraw--have been cobbled together in the remaining two. It's worth noting that one of those collection auctions only pertains to licenses held by THQ, versus properties fully owned.

Lot 1 - OWNED SOFTWARE

Red Faction
Red Faction Armageddon
Red Faction 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Lot 2 - OWNED SOFTWARE

Homeworld
Homeworld 2

Lot 3 - OWNED SOFTWARE

MX Alive
MX vs ATV Untamed
MX Superfly featuring Ricky Carmichael
MX vs. ATV Alive Tournament
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
MX vs ATV Reflex
MX vs. ATV: On The Edge

Lot 4 - OWNED SOFTWARE

Darksiders
Darksiders 2

Lot 5 - OWNED SOFTWARE

All Star Cheer Squad
Elements of Destruction
All Star Cheer Squad 2
Fantastic Pets
All Star Karate
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Baja: Edge of Control
Full Spectrum Warrior
Battle of the Bands
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
Beat City
Juiced
Big Beach Sports
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Big Beach Sports 2
Lock's Quest: Construction Combat
Big Family Games
Neighborhood Games
Crawler
Pax Imperia
de Blob
Stuntman: Ignition
de Blob 2
Summoner
Deadly Creatures
Summoner 2
Deep Six
Terranium
Destroy All Humans!
The Outfit
Destroy All Humans! 2
Titan Quest
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon
uDraw
Dood's Big Adventure
World of Zoo
Drawn to Life
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Lot 6 - LICENSED SOFTWARE (buyer to pay any cure costs)

Costume Quest
Scripps Spelling Bee (Scripps)
Daniel X (SueJack)
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House
Deepak Chopra's Leela (Curious Holdings)
Stacking
Fancy Nancy: Tea Party Time! (Harper Collins)
Supreme Commander
Jeopardy
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Jeopardy 2
The Biggest Loser
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Truth or Lies
Let's Ride Best of Breed
Vampire Legends: Power of Three (dtp)
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat
Wheel of Fortune
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
Wheel of Fortune 2
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet 2
Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase
Worms 2
Nexuiz
Worms Battle Islands
Paws & Claws Marine Rescue
Worms Open Warfare
Paws & Claws Pampered Pets Resort 3D
Worms: A Space Oddity
PurrPals 2
Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Team 17)
Rio
You Don't Know Jack (Jellyvision)
Rocket Riot
Screwjumper (Frozen Codebase)

I hope the Destroy All Humans franchise actually gets some love. I did like the games.. it should go to a good dev who'll give it the right treatment. NOT EA. It's pretty obvious they didn't care, the way they treated Pandemic. (They considered them the disposable wrapping about the Bioware package they bought, ugh) As a matter of fact, the way Pandemic was treated was a large part of why I was worried about Volition during the buyouts.. I thought they were gonna be bought for their IP then chucked.

Even more than that, the Homeworld series. It was stylistic, it was tactical, it was better made than 99% of the stuff out there right now. I have all 3, though I'm not as good as I'd like. It still needs a good sequel or more...

I can't help but notice whomever buys Lot 5 gets stuff like Drawn to Life 1 and 2, the Destroy All Humans franchise.... and uDraw. Woo. I actually saw one of those in a store just today. I laughed. :rolleyes:

Back