Gentlemen of Steelport Compilation

Toad King confirmed that we'll be able to edit the metadata and change the play times for each sample.

You know, I'm suddenly wondering about the legality of a mod that brings some content from SR2 into SR3. I mean, this one came to mind but also for the future.
I play Baldur's Gate. Well, BG2, with the Throne of Bhaal expansion. Ther fun thing is the game is so moddable and after this many years is full of experienced mods that you get stuff like Tutu or Trilogy. Those take the content from BG1, extract it from the game, and pack it up into BG2 so you can play it all as one big game. It's all automated, and uses the game's own resources so you NEED the original game to pull it off.

There was also a few mods on the Nexus that did the same for importing Fallout 3 stuff into New Vegas.. but they decided to pull them it seems after a policy shift and wanting permission from Bethesda and Obsidian both.

Still, what about that sort of thing.. an automated thing that pulls some files like sound clips etc from SR2 and stuffs them into SR3? You need both, so we're not distributing copyrighted files, and it's no worse than the modding itself in general.. would that sort of thing ever be a possibility here, or is that a grey area that would rather not be touched?

You know, I'm suddenly wondering about the legality of a mod that brings some content from SR2 into SR3. I mean, this one came to mind but also for the future.
I play Baldur's Gate. Well, BG2, with the Throne of Bhaal expansion. Ther fun thing is the game is so moddable and after this many years is full of experienced mods that you get stuff like Tutu or Trilogy. Those take the content from BG1, extract it from the game, and pack it up into BG2 so you can play it all as one big game. It's all automated, and uses the game's own resources so you NEED the original game to pull it off.

There was also a few mods on the Nexus that did the same for importing Fallout 3 stuff into New Vegas.. but they decided to pull them it seems after a policy shift and wanting permission from Bethesda and Obsidian both.

Still, what about that sort of thing.. an automated thing that pulls some files like sound clips etc from SR2 and stuffs them into SR3? You need both, so we're not distributing copyrighted files, and it's no worse than the modding itself in general.. would that sort of thing ever be a possibility here, or is that a grey area that would rather not be touched?

It's completely impossible with regards to sound, that's for sure.

Nuts. I haven't poked at SR2 enough, I thought it was probably the same encoding design so we could swap over files and update offset/lengths and have it run clean. Shame.

Nuts. I haven't poked at SR2 enough, I thought it was probably the same encoding design so we could swap over files and update offset/lengths and have it run clean. Shame.

Regarding legality, I would normally agree with you that SR2 assets are off limits. I consider the Cheapy D to Gat conversion as the exception to the rule though. In my opinion, Volition screwed up by not having an actual Johnny Gat homie with recorded dialogue. I consider this project as simply fixing a huge oversight on their part.

I was able to use the standard .vpp_pc extracting tools on the audio archives with some program that was REALLY hard to find and crashed a lot to create good quality music files BUT it was because the file extension of the files created with the regular tool to extract archives was used in another game or program somewhere but I can't remember what that was or the file format. But if someone could extract the .vpp_pc files containing dialogue and tell me what the primary file format is I might be able to hunt down that program (it was a file format converter of some kind is all I remember).

I was able to use the standard .vpp_pc extracting tools on the audio archives with some program that was REALLY hard to find and crashed a lot to create good quality music files BUT it was because the file extension of the files created with the regular tool to extract archives was used in another game or program somewhere but I can't remember what that was or the file format. But if someone could extract the .vpp_pc files containing dialogue and tell me what the primary file format is I might be able to hunt down that program (it was a file format converter of some kind is all I remember).

Like I said earlier, you can't. No tool exists that can do what you're asking. The closest thing we have is this:
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4391

And that will not extract the dialogue correctly.

Figured it was time to move this thing out of Mods in Progress since it's already pretty much the standard go to package that everyone recommends. I'll be finishing up the new GUI soon once Sandbox+ is stable and released. I just seriously needed a break from GoS for a bit. ;)

I suggest updating the second post of this thread. For example, the note about toggling weapon upgrades on/off which has been already solved.

Back