Gentlemen of Steelport Compilation

Are there any better installation instructions for GoS? Because the readme that comes with it doesn't explain anything very well. I get up to step 4 and that's it. Where am i supposed to be checking for option C? What do I do with the all the other folders. Is there any documentation anywhere because it feels like the readme is missing a ton of information

What don't you understand? Select the options and then build your patch or loose files. That's it. There's no trick to this. It's incredibly simple if you follow the instructions.

IdolNinja, the command line interface (CLI) and text GUI do scare some people, esp those who grown up post win 95 era. GoS text GUI has it's limitation and you've done a good job mitigating it. I sure was hoping there's a little explanation in the readme about the visual cues of which mods are marked for install and actually spent some time deducing it when I 1st install GoS. How I wish that someone ported dialog/xdialog/gdialog/zenity to windows if only to make life easier for you and all GoS users.

Hopefully, with the new GUI installer everything will be intuitive.

Seems like with all this criticism the new GUI will be released a lil' later! :D
Back to being serious, when I first used GotR I had little problems figuring it out too, but after 2 tries I did it correctly,
and with GoS I didn't have problems at all.
It's just try and error if you don't understand the readme completely.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the visual clues. I guess I can see how that might be slightly confusing for some users. The whole thing is moot anyway with the upcoming gui version though which should be much more intuitive.

Please note, that I do my best to try to make all of this as easy as possible. It's extremely rare that I ever hear of someone having a problem understanding how it works. In the 3 years I've been doing this I can count the number of users who were confused on one hand. Until now I've simply assumed that if thousands of people could follow the instructions then the problem was with the handful of technically challenged users, and not with the instructions.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to write up some extremely detailed instructions with screenshots I can put that in the OP.

So the new GoS will include automation of merging modded files then? That's cool, it can get tedious doing it by hand. How does it work? I'm imagining some sort of diff/patch process. If so, will it be able to load any custom patches we make ourselves? Or would we just have to feed in our modded files as the original destination files? (I love how I call the minor balance tweaks I make 'mods', btw, like they compare with some of the offerings here :p)

Hey IdolNinja, I just wanted to know if there's any update in GoS? Thanks.

Any news on progress is generally posted on my site or my twitter.

I see great updates and I can't wait till the next GoS. :)
Keep up the good work Idol!

Back