First-person camera experiment

Hi, I have tried the mod, and so far I think it is great. The 3rd person view always made me dizzy and annoyed, especially inside buildings. Now I feel more 'in' the game, feel more accurate, and fun to play. My only complaint is that my head is missing when I drive, when see myself in a store, and even in the cut scenes. And just like Letrune said, I can't see the head on her character either, and in some cases, her legs turn invisible too. If this cannot be fixed then I will sadly have to go back to the vanilla game, as this gets very annoying in its own way.

As a more constructive feedback, I have noticed that the guns are not pointing in alignment to the cross-hair when I hold them. It is nothing bad, as I hardly look at the guns anyway, and it does not affect how I aim or shoot things. It may be tweaked, but not really needed.

I think it is a great mod, just a bit sad for the invisible heads.

And moving the camera above the player's head and a bit forward?
That would make it even less enjoyable since you'll feel like playing as an extremely tall person.

My only complaint is that my head is missing when I drive, when see myself in a store, and even in the cut scenes. And just like Letrune said, I can't see the head on her character either, and in some cases, her legs turn invisible too.
Seeing your headless character in stores and cutscenes is sadly unavoidable. As for the coop part, there might be actually a workaround. I'll try to cook something this weekend but please don't expect any wonders.

As a more constructive feedback, I have noticed that the guns are not pointing in alignment to the cross-hair when I hold them. It is nothing bad, as I hardly look at the guns anyway, and it does not affect how I aim or shoot things. It may be tweaked, but not really needed.
That's because game was designed for a TPP/over shoulder view for aim. Weapons are pointing bit to right. I believe that I can't fix that without mesh tools.

Hm, thank you, I was just doing small tips. :) I appreciate your help and work for us, and I like the mod very nicely. :) I confess that the aiming never were an issue for me with those weapons...

I've uploaded the "coop-friendly" fix - check out the OP. After installing this patch on top of FPS mod, every character's head will be visible as long as that character is not wearing a "Military Man" long chain. Therefore if you're playing coop with FPS mod on, make sure you do wear that chain (it can be found in Let's Pretend facewear's category - that's right, it's not qualified as a necklace anymore ). Also, modder's coop partner will keep its head on as long as he/she isn't wearing "Military man".

Thank you very much, I'll check it out as soon as I can! :)
Fitting idea on that, and i like it. :)

A question: these parts are needed to fix a camera to a certain point in the gameworld? I am curious.

A question: these parts are needed to fix a camera to a certain point in the gameworld? I am curious.
Camera in SRTT works in a quite different way. You can adjust the coordinates (like height, distance etc.) of camera placement around main character. You're doing it via camera_free.xtbl (or different files when it comes to different situations, like for examples vehicles). Camera moves with the character so it always keeps the height, distance and overall placement defined in camera_free.xtbl. Therefore theres no real way to create a "custom-made" camera for particular moves or situations.

Alright, OP has been updated again, this time with the next version of the mod. Since sprint attacks are now in first person (finally!) and your character will get his/her head back while driving the car (finally! x2), you shouldn't be seeing your headless Boss too often. Moreover, coop fix is now an integral part of the mod - remember to wear a "Military man" necklace (available at "Let's pretend", in headwear section) in the first place, or your character's head is going to cover 99% of the screen. Due to a small anim swap, you should also see your current gun more often. Have fun and leave some feedback!

Great mod, just some small bugs:
  • When duel wielding, the guns are held and pointed to the right of the crosshair, which is a bit jarring
  • The head shows up in cars, but is invisible when on a motorbike/spectre
  • The camera pops backwards out of the head when doing a sprint-dive
  • When you look down and run (either sprint or normal) the camera gets pushed backwards so I can see my characters back
  • Hostages don't appear at all (not sure how much they'd obscure the view if they did)
  • Really trivial, but the incinerator hardly shows up in the view at all and the minigun is only slightly viewable when not zoomed in
  • The camera clips inside the body when pushing forward during skydiving (parachute not pulled)
  • Camera goes into third-person for bo-duke-en
  • The revival animation doesn't play at all (though it would probably be a clipfest if it did)
  • Minor clipping issues when jumping with the RPG
  • Head doesn't show up in cutscenes, though I'm sure you noticed
Just some other comments, you know how when you use nitrous in a car you can't move the crosshair? Would it be possible to make the static crosshair a toggleable option? If it could be toggled on when looking straight ahead/set to look straight ahead, first-person driving would be a lot easier, and hopefully it could be toggled off to shoot. If it were possible to do that, making first-person driving the default would also be nice.

Great mod, just some small bugs:
  • When duel wielding, the guns are held and pointed to the right of the crosshair, which is a bit jarring
  • The head shows up in cars, but is invisible when on a motorbike/spectre
  • The camera pops backwards out of the head when doing a sprint-dive
  • When you look down and run (either sprint or normal) the camera gets pushed backwards so I can see my characters back
  • Hostages don't appear at all (not sure how much they'd obscure the view if they did)
  • Really trivial, but the incinerator hardly shows up in the view at all and the minigun is only slightly viewable when not zoomed in
  • The camera clips inside the body when pushing forward during skydiving (parachute not pulled)
  • Camera goes into third-person for bo-duke-en
  • The revival animation doesn't play at all (though it would probably be a clipfest if it did)
  • Minor clipping issues when jumping with the RPG
  • Head doesn't show up in cutscenes, though I'm sure you noticed
Just some other comments, you know how when you use nitrous in a car you can't move the crosshair? Would it be possible to make the static crosshair a toggleable option? If it could be toggled on when looking straight ahead/set to look straight ahead, first-person driving would be a lot easier, and hopefully it could be toggled off to shoot. If it were possible to do that, making first-person driving the default would also be nice.

• Dual wields - I haven't researched on that matter a lot but it seems to be a mesh related feature. Game was designed to be TPP, with camera hanging above (and slightly behind) player's right shoulder. Therefore the upper body of main character twists a bit to right, just to line up with the crosshair.
  • Head visibility on motorbikes - I believe that I noticed some time ago a flag responsible for that, so I'll investigate.
  • Sprint-dive camera hiccup - Seems to be unfixable: some of the actions your main character perform are covered with their own camera position sets. Some of them are not, though. Sprint dives fall to that latter category. Game treats it as a "sprint" and therefore uses the camera reserved for "sprint".
  • Looking down while running - Camera actually stays in its place - it's the character's upper body that's leaning forward. I've been experimenting with this and although there's a way to remove that "lean character forward" feature, it works quite irritating in-game. Whenever you look down, you're stuck at watching your character's upper parts of back blocking 99% of the screen.
  • Invisible hostages (applies to other 3D models as well) - That's the thing that keeps me on toes since alpha. Whenever a part of 3D model gets to close to the camera, game engine turns it (or its part) invisible. It comes extremely handy in TPP, but right here its pretty unnecessary. I'm on a constant crusade to find that minimum-distance-before-vanishes variable. Wish me luck!
  • Flamethrower/minigun - Thankfully, animation sets for weapons are easy to replace. Weapons may look strange, but we'll give it a shot in a next version. Take a look at the attached screenshot to see what I mean.
  • Skydive camera hiccup - I tried to tackle that one - without luck. Changing camera coordinates didn't work for skydiving like it did for the rest of animations.
  • Bo-duke-em camera hiccup - Just like sprint-dive is treated as a "sprint" in-game, bo-duke-en is treated as a "driving a vehicle". When you're drop-kicking somebody off the car (am I the only missing that function in ANY sandbox-city game?), camera starts to changing its position from "sprint" to "drive a vehicle", i.e. camera "flies" from one coordinate to the other one.
  • Lack of revival animations - no problem with them over here. You're sure that you haven't changed any of the XTBL files?
  • RPG camera hiccups - sadly, it's the same case as bo-duke-em and sprint-dive.
  • Head visibility in cutscenes - That's number 2 on my bug list. I believe that there's a way to get rid of that bug, although it could require some additional input from player.
  • Turning freelook off while driving - I love to have a freelook in dashboard views but being able to turn it on and off could make a good optional part of mod. I'll investigate on that matter.
Last but not least, thank your very much for those reports! It's really, really, really helpful.

Attachments

• minigun.JPG
    minigun.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,081
Back