Gat out of Hell chat/thoughts.

I decided to beat Saints Row 2 again lately and I discovered that IdolNinja confirmed Gat out of Hell five years ago in GotR. I knew it, everything was set up from the beginning. :p
DD50447560E716A5322267834EF5013ECC8092EB
I spy photoshop! :)

I decided to beat Saints Row 2 again lately and I discovered that IdolNinja confirmed Gat out of Hell five years ago in GotR. I knew it, everything was set up from the beginning. :p
Lol I remember this loading screen.

Now, I'm curious if other loading screens were edited as well.o_O

I decided to beat Saints Row 2 again lately and I discovered that IdolNinja confirmed Gat out of Hell five years ago in GotR... <snip>

Beating it again...geez, I couldn't even get through one play through of SR2, it wasn't until my husband clued me into just how much I had been screaming at my monitor that I became very aware of the fact that my fun/frustration ratio had become grossly lopsided to the point where it wasn't worth continuing. Part of me really wishes I had started out with Saints Row 2, rather than Saints Row 4 because I must be missing the nostalgia factor that keeps it being so awesome in the memories of those who played it when the series was new.

The main reason I bought GOOH at full price was because of a post IdolNinja recently made on the steam forum. Prior to that, I had made peace with the fact that in all likelihood, the Saints Row franchise was going to go the same route as the Sacred franchise, where Deep Silver marketing execs tried to play game developer and then made every attempt to dupe as many of Sacred's long time fans as they could into buying their sham of a game that had nothing in common with the action rpg it always had been. The comment that IdolNinja made, that made all the difference to me, was along the lines of (paraphrasing) "Gat out of Hell isn't the greatest example of where we are as a studio, but Deep Silver has given Volition full creative control, more than we've ever had before. I can't speak of any details but I've seen things that have blown my mind already." THAT'S why I bought this expansion at full price because my fears were put to rest and now I'm more excited than I ever was for what Saints Row 5 will be. Above all else, I think I just need a loved franchise to keep being awesome. So many of my favorite franchises have all gone to crap in the end, The Sims, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc, I really REALLY need Saints Row to at least not be strangled to death by greedy publishers for once. Just once!

Ahem. Anyway, as far as GOOH went, I enjoyed it, it was fun but it wasn't meaningful. For future DLCs/expansions, I would hope that even for short bursts of entertainment like GOOH, there can still be some kind of meaningful story at play. That's the main thing that I found really lacking in Gat out of Hell, it was fun, but not meaningful and there needs to be some of both, even for DLC, for it to be great.

Beating it again...geez, I couldn't even get through one play through of SR2, it wasn't until my husband clued me into just how much I had been screaming at my monitor that I became very aware of the fact that my fun/frustration ratio had become grossly lopsided to the point where it wasn't worth continuing. Part of me really wishes I had started out with Saints Row 2, rather than Saints Row 4 because I must be missing the nostalgia factor that keeps it being so awesome in the memories of those who played it when the series was new.
Saints Row had a big tone shift between SR2 and SRTT, and again between SRTT and SRIV. The one between TT and IV was much smaller than the one between SR2 and SRTT - I'm not surprised that SR2 is awkward for some people.

I find personally that I prefer SR2's tone, plot, etc, *but* a lot of the gameplay is less polished and less fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints Row had a big tone shift between SR2 and SRTT, and again between SRTT and SRIV. The one between TT and IV was much smaller than the one between SR2 and SRTT - I'm not surprised that SR2 is awkward for some people.

I find personally the I prefer SR2's tone, plot, etc, *but* a lot of the gameplay is less polished and less fun.
Well, all I want from Volition is Saints Row 1 & 2: Remastered on PC. I'd be able to pay 60 bucks for this, even if it would use SR:TT engine and it wouldn't include some songs in the radio. :p

If I think of it like First Light or Blood Dragon, the experience makes more sense. I just love having a new city, and it for some reason felt bigger than Steelport (even thought it isn't, perhaps its because I know Steelport like the back of my hand by now), and the environments have some nice variation.

I quite enjoyed it, and I was glad to see the Dewynters (It actually gave Kiki a chance to speak more than 3 lines, gosh that was stupid.) and they are pretty badass. As I said, I'm just thinking viola entered hell through a portal or some means, the idea of her being dead with earth because reasons leaves me miffed, especially since it looks like she was supposed to be in 4. Its weird, I don't care if its Zimos Or Angel that blow up, and Oleg wasn't a wholly unfair death, he was a good character, and had good development, and the team actually mourn him, instead of Kinsie and her hypocritical speech being the only mention of Viola. Oh also! That line from Viola, where she mentions that she misses the Saints how she developed a friendship with them "Oh except for Shaundi, f*** that b****. Come on! I hate that! Insult the character you tried to open up and show depth to, and allow no reconciliation or interaction between the characters that didn't even interact in 3, good job! That's a personal tangent though, and obviously thing are left open for player interpretation, so you know, I just don't think of it that way...sigh.

Its, quite good, honestly, its more honest than a bunch of triple AAA games from 2014, but you know, I don't want to criticize it too much. Because the price point is completely fair for it.

Last edited:

I find personally that I prefer SR2's tone, plot, etc, *but* a lot of the gameplay is less polished and less fun.

I can definitely see where you're coming from because where SR2 did really shine for me was its story and the world of Stilwater was amazingly well done, and even though I don't look back upon my SR2 experience with much fondness, it still left its mark upon me because even after going back to SRTT and breathing a huge sigh of relief as I happily drove around Steelport with much ease, I was suddenly very aware of how limited the Steelport community environment was in comparison to Stilwater, which had enough variance to adequately mimic a believable community, whereas in SRTT and even moreso in SR4, it was clear the NPC pool was much diminished and recolors of the recycled NPCs were much more obvious to me.

The gameplay of SR2 is really what killed it for me, the story and cutscenes were awesome though but then right after watching my HBIC diva look so awesome, it would immediately be ruined when she'd be running everywhere like she didn't make it to the toilet on time. Talk about an immersion killer. ;)

2006: Saints Row
2008: Saints Row 2
2011: Saints Row 3
2013: Saints Row 4
2015: Saints Row GOOH

Thinking what I'm thinking? I hope GOOH don't take 2015 for it alone....

Back