Gentlemen of Steelport Compilation

Is there a chance that some of the most awesome mods (Shitface's ones etc.) will be merged with GoS?

Is there a chance that some of the most awesome mods (Shitface's ones etc.) will be merged with GoS?

IdolNinja is working on GUI GoS, so every mod will be included. In meantime, you can use Shitface's mods with GoS safely (just don't install GoS weapons mod if you want install Weapon Re-Balance and Gang Plus One if you want use NPC Behaviour). It shouldn't cause issues. ;)

Congratulation for that compil,
I love the interface of the installer, it's really handy.
Looking forward to see what other mods will be included.

So what exactly is included with this, because either I am blind or there isin't any decent list fo what exactly it has in say the co-op patch.

So what exactly is included with this, because either I am blind or there isin't any decent list fo what exactly it has in say the co-op patch.

The changelog has all the details. You can also go to advanced mode and simply look in the core mods menu that has them all auto-selected. That is what gets built in by default in the coop compatible patch version.

IdolNinja, we've very briefly discussed what it'd take to make an automatic mod merger. To preformat the xtbl files for a comparison, the tool "xmlstarlet" looks like it works well for Windows. The question then becomes, how do we merge the changes? Well, I'm not necessarily recommending the use of Git just to accomplish this one thing, but it provides a good example of how it can be done. Maybe there's another tool that can do something similar, or maybe it's possible to ship a minimal version of Git with just this one command.
Code:
Corrodias@CORR-8 /c/Games
$ git merge-file -p ours.xtbl base.xtbl base.xtbl > merged.xtbl &
[1] 8720
[1]+ Done git merge-file -p ours.xtbl base.xtbl base.xtbl >merged.xtbl

Corrodias@CORR-8 /c/Games
$ git merge-file -p ours.xtbl base.xtbl theirs.xtbl > merged.xtbl &
[1] 1888
[1]+ Exit 1 git merge-file -p ours.xtbl base.xtbl theirs.xtbl >merged.xtbl
The first command succeeds with 0 conflicts, since the edits are compatible (the "theirs" file is identical to the base). The exit code is 0, which is a success. The second command returns an exit code of 1, because there was 1 conflict. I rearranged two lines in one, and edited one of the lines in the other. merged.xtbl then contains text like this:
Code:
<<<<<<< ours.xtbl
    <Character><Name>sgang_male_nudelew</Name>...
=======
    <Character><Name>npc_Brute</Name>...
>>>>>>> theirs.xtbl
If you were to use this method when merging xtbl changes, maybe you'd want a simple and advanced mode. The simple mode would simply fail and tell the user which mod failed to merge in, and the advanced mode would let them edit this file before continuing.

Corrodias,

The Gnu tools (here's what looks like ports to windows) are probably what you'd really want to use. Specifically the DiffUtils and Patch packages (git likely borrows code/uses libraries from these tools anyways). Use diff or diff3 to create your difference files and patch to patch those into a final file. Patch should have similar arguments as git merge-file (manual pages for patch, diff, and diff3 for references).

I use git and mercurial for version control in my own projects, but I would think git would be pretty overkill for this. I've never used diff or patch directly on windows (My work is done almost entirely on Linux machines, my windows system is my gaming setup :) ), but I might be able to give a hand if you need some help with them. It's been a while since I've messed directly with diff and patch though.

-Zitch

I agree, and thanks for the recommendation. There's no way to make an installation of these simple enough for the people who have trouble following instructions that say "put these two files in this folder", so if IdolNinja were to go this route, i'd say they have to be included in the GotR builder.

I agree, and thanks for the recommendation. There's no way to make an installation of these simple enough for the people who have trouble following instructions that say "put these two files in this folder", so if IdolNinja were to go this route, i'd say they have to be included in the GotR builder.

Agreed. The whole purpose of the compilations is to make them as easy to use as possible for non-technical players.

But wait.. Corrodias.. I don't understand...

How do I install it? :p

Back