Visuals & Graphics HD Textures Pack Mod

Thanks goshtic for making that readme file, it should help a lot of people get the mod installed.:cool:
You seem to know a lot about graphics rendering and I thank you for the informative insight.;)

Thanks to Hevon for taking the time to create the detailed textures.:cool:
Have you gotten around to removing the 15 from the texture cement_foundation01_d.tga.DDS ?
Looking forward to the next update.
Keep up the good work.:D

Thank you so much for doing this, Hevon.

I've notice your releases don't contain a readme file at all. So if it's okay with you, I've made one for you. Since you shouldn't really leave a readme file out of your release, other people might claim it's their work.

As for that "grainy noisey look when moving" which also known as texture shimmering effect. Texture Shimmering Effect is when distant textures look like they're shinning, moving, and/or not being affected by antialiasing filters.

"Shimmering is a problem that occurs when mipmaps arent properly joined by filtering. This causes a "banding" effect in the distance dependent upon the amount of filtering and mipmap adjustments. What this causes is textures to look like they are crawling forward in the distance. Generally areas with significant repeating textures ((Gravel roads)) are more prone to the issue. To some people. This isnt a big deal. To others is monsterous distractiong. Some dont even notice it."

"Usually it can be fixed by lessoning the LoD impact. Keep in mind that negative LoD tend to sharpen textures in non Anisotropic Filtering enviroments. With AF enabled the need for a negative LoD is likely not as apparent due to anisotropic filtering sharpening textures. So clamping the LoD or putting a positive may not be as noticable with anisotropic filtering enabled. Some may argue that this does affect quality. And they'd be right that it does. But I find it a perfectly acceptable tweak given the circumstances."

Here is the attached readme file for your release. Hopefully it would be of some use to you. You can adjust it, edit it any way you like.
Thanks a lot for the readme !!
I've just didnt focus on making one cause i was thinking only to make texture :oops:

Thanks goshtic for making that readme file, it should help a lot of people get the mod installed.:cool:
You seem to know a lot about graphics rendering and I thank you for the informative insight.;)

Thanks to Hevon for taking the time to create the detailed textures.:cool:
Have you gotten around to removing the 15 from the texture cement_foundation01_d.tga.DDS ?
Looking forward to the next update.
Keep up the good work.:D
Gonna be done soon.
I was away for some time cause of health problem and still have but i can spend some time on the texture now. ;)

I would like a reupload of the lite version please.

Because all i see are black roads and the original link for the lite version is down.
I need to make a new one , i think it will come out after the update i'm gonna do soon.

It looks great,but I've put it on my Saints Row Folder and nothing changed...
Maybe you are using an other mod at the same time ?.

I was away for some time cause of health problem
Get well soon and wishing you all the best for a full recovery.:D

Hi, completely forgot about this mod, I remember looking around everywhere for one months ago and then found this thread, awesome to know that there is finally a mod, and I can say that this looks AMAZING! Super easy to set up as well, and get well soon :)

God i want this especially for inside of buildings and cars where u spend more time looking at stuff it looks great so far except for,

i'm using 1.2 and i get a missing texture for a few random people
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9547/saintsrowthethirddx1120k.png

Also just as a note my video settings is set to Ultra.

The ? character is actually an NPC in Saints Row 3. In my NPC mod, I included it as a regular character you can rarely see walking around for comedic effect.

Also, thank you very much to Hevon for updating this mod and removing that "15" texture! Get well soon!

As for that "grainy noisey look when moving" which also known as texture shimmering effect. Texture Shimmering Effect is when distant textures look like they're shinning, moving, and/or not being affected by antialiasing filters.​
"Shimmering is a problem that occurs when mipmaps arent properly joined by filtering. This causes a "banding" effect in the distance dependent upon the amount of filtering and mipmap adjustments. What this causes is textures to look like they are crawling forward in the distance. Generally areas with significant repeating textures ((Gravel roads)) are more prone to the issue. To some people. This isnt a big deal. To others is monsterous distractiong. Some dont even notice it."​
"Usually it can be fixed by lessoning the LoD impact. Keep in mind that negative LoD tend to sharpen textures in non Anisotropic Filtering enviroments. With AF enabled the need for a negative LoD is likely not as apparent due to anisotropic filtering sharpening textures. So clamping the LoD or putting a positive may not be as noticable with anisotropic filtering enabled. Some may argue that this does affect quality. And they'd be right that it does. But I find it a perfectly acceptable tweak given the circumstances."​
First I had the black texture thing, then somehow it stopped, but then I noticed this shimmering/noise/grainy texture problem (which is not Hevon's fault! I cannot stress this enough).​
I've only played 2 games (SRTT, and Borderlands 2) since getting my nVidia GTX 560 Ti graphic card, which was a BIG time upgrade from my P.O.S. previous one, so I've never seen this before.​
I looked in to it (thanks again, goshtic, your info really helped) and found a (potentially) helpful post on the NVIDIA GeForce forums:​
It's a matter of a sharpening agent on high-quality textures, and says the recommendation of "enabling negative LOD bias clamp globally in the driver" is just "more placebo" (or, "it doesn't work").​
He goes on to say:​
Crysis 3 uses a sharpening filter that seems to introduce some texture aliasing/shimmering. If anyone else finds that a problem you can add r_Sharpening = 0.0 to your autoexec.cfg file in Crysis 3 root folder.

Now, since this is isn't Crysis 3, the specifics of those instructions won't work.

But, it does (I think) mean it's just a matter of a sharpening filter, which can likely be tweaked in some config file.

I found a file that might be of some use:
In your SRTT root directory (folder with saintsrowthethird.exe in it), you'll find display.ini

<<<BEFORE YOU TOUCH IT, BACK IT UP!>>>

It's read-only, so you can't edit it outright.

1. Right-click display.ini, and go to Properties
2. Next to "Attributes", UN-check "Read-only".
Annnnnnd that's it.

After I edited mine, I RE-checked "Read-only", but I don't know if that's essential. I just don't wanna fuck up anything.

For people having the problem: BEFORE you edit it, copy/paste what your settings are so we can compare.

From what I understand (which is very little), DOF (depth-of-field), (potentially draw distance), and texture quality effect LOD (level of detail), and when using sharpening the problem occurs. I think it's amplified when various anti-aliasing is applied, more so at higher levels.

So.....someone who knows this stuff could maybe solve it. Until then I'll be screwing around (blindly) to see if I can fix it, but don't count on me for a fix.

Back