What do you think about the Boss of the Third Street Saints? *Spoiler alert!*

We all love the boss! But do you want...

• Total voters
I miss SR2 boss, "puckish rouge" is the stupidest title I have ever heard.

Considering the boss in SR2 was the reason i despised SR2 due to him/her being irredeemably evil, i prefer the softer less evil boss, i had to force myself to beat SR2, cheated on my playthrough to speed it up because i nearly quit the game multiple times due to the boss's cruelty.
Though i should probably point out that even in games where you can choose whether to be good or evil i always choose good, i cannot stand being evil no matter if it's a game or not.

If SR5 had the boss be more like the SR2 boss, i'd avoid it like the plague, i'm sorry but the boss in 2 literally ruined the game for me, it's also why i have never played more than 5 minutes of a GTA game.

It's evolution of character, innit?

Originally, the boss was too afraid to talk, and was severely messed up by gang-culture. There was a sense of paranoia and fear to it for him, and that turned into a complex as people began to die.

It was a statement about the darker tones of Saints Row 1 & 2 in general. Which took themselves far, far too seriously. Those were less fun games for me, personally, as I feel that games are often pretentious and po-faced.

As the games lightened up, so did the boss.

The most surprising change though is that by the end of Saints Row IV, with the support of his friends, the boss has his ego slowly deflated. He feels like he's becoming a better person. The biggest possible change they could have made to a character like his is the one they did make: He was humbled by the whole affair.

I like it. I like character evolution. And I like where the boss had ended up. If the boss hadn't become a more reasonable, humble, caring person by the end of it all, then I'd think that having him as the leader of the ZIn Empire would have been a very bad thing indeed.

As it turned out, though, it was a victory not just for the boss, but for everyone. Well, everyone except Zinyak.

I know some people prefer a character to remain one-dimensional, or two-dimensional at best. But I'm tired of games with flat, boring, and never changing characters, voiced by voice actors who can't act for shit. I've had more than enough of that.

So... yeah. I'm all for it.

I'm not sure why so many ppl seem to be so hung up on "puckish rogue" since it seems pretty obvious that it's not meant seriously ;3
Yeah, it's a very satirical thing. It's basically the boss having a laugh at his own expense with that. It's a shame that that passed some people by, because I was amused.

It's called self-deprecating humour, ladies and gents. The fact that the boss is using it shows him to be a more well-rounded character. I'm amazed at how egotistical hero characters in video games are, that they seem to be so above that.

I guess some might find the ego-trip thing more appealing, but I'm not among them.

Originally, the boss was too afraid to talk, and was severely messed up by gang-culture. There was a sense of paranoia and fear to it for him, and that turned into a complex as people began to die.

It was a statement about the darker tones of Saints Row 1 & 2 in general. Which took themselves far, far too seriously. Those were less fun games for me, personally, as I feel that games are often pretentious and po-faced.

As the games lightened up, so did the boss.

The most surprising change though is that by the end of Saints Row IV, with the support of his friends, the boss has his ego slowly deflated. He feels like he's becoming a better person. The biggest possible change they could have made to a character like his is the one they did make: He was humbled by the whole affair.

I like it. I like character evolution. And I like where the boss had ended up. If the boss hadn't become a more reasonable, humble, caring person by the end of it all, then I'd think that having him as the leader of the ZIn Empire would have been a very bad thing indeed.

As it turned out, though, it was a victory not just for the boss, but for everyone. Well, everyone except Zinyak.

I know some people prefer a character to remain one-dimensional, or two-dimensional at best. But I'm tired of games with flat, boring, and never changing characters, voiced by voice actors who can't act for shit. I've had more than enough of that.

So... yeah. I'm all for it.
Same here. I like character that evolve. I 'm a writer (or I try to be) so i know the importance of character developement. Also, a good side of SR series is the fact that is a game that doesn't shove something down your throat (I saw many games, series, comics and books that are a pretext to force author's ideas on players, readers or viewers).
I like when in the end, saints mess with history without cause harm

Yeah, it's a very satirical thing. It's basically the boss having a laugh at his own expense with that. It's a shame that that passed some people by, because I was amused.

It's called self-deprecating humour, ladies and gents. The fact that the boss is using it shows him to be a more well-rounded character. I'm amazed at how egotistical hero characters in video games are, that they seem to be so above that.

I guess some might find the ego-trip thing more appealing, but I'm not among them.
!00% agreeded.

I'm not sure why so many ppl seem to be so hung up on "puckish rogue" since it seems pretty obvious that it's not meant seriously ;3

I know, it's just a dumb term.

And then the Boss declares themself ruler of the galaxy.
Humble my butt...

Hey my Boss won that throne by keeping her promise(how many times did she say she was going to rip Zinyaks head off, 4?) and was more focused on seeing Earth again then ruling the galaxy and messing around with our timeline.

I'm fine with that.

And then the Boss declares themself ruler of the galaxy.
Where, exactly, does the boss do this? He makes jokes about having a butler, but it sounds to me like he intended to set the Zin Empire free from slavery.

If you were paying attention to the banter with Zinyak, the boss points out that the only reason that they follow him is out of fear, and that without him instigating that fear, they'd be free to do as they please.

From everything I've seen, the boss is very big on free will and self-determinism.

You make your choices, and the boss understands that the sometimes you make bad ones, in the case of Keith David. That's why he gave Keith a chance to prove himself by permitting those Zin to just lay him out. He was giving Keith a chance to turn things around, because he wanted another option other than killing him.

So... allowing himself to be kicked around just to help a friend see the error of their ways? Yeah. Pretty humble.

Back