WIP Weapon retexture project

Bloodjack, did you try tweaking the specular map as well, the one with the _s_ in its name? I haven't tried it myself but in other 3d programs I use, speculars are quite influential on the final result (but I can preview meshes/textures in real time, whereas with SRIV is a trial&error routine)
_S maps really only change the look in the store maybe a bit in the game world but not much.
@zac Do you have a "probleme" with the default texture of the big handgun?
I was playing around with the textures and ...
The results looks nice for the golden one :

BUT, look at the default one, it's really darker than the texture :

And this is my bump map :
No i haven had problems with it being darker then its meant to but take a SS of the default in the shop and let me see it and it would be nice to edit the normal maps too but i dont know how to.

Specular mapping effects how much light will reflect off of the model, increasing the brightness of the specular map will make the diffuse map appear shinier and brighter.

No problem, its how I get the chrome bits of the AR-55 in SR3 to stop being shiny. I had to match the specular maps up to the rest of the texture. There's a lot of little things you can do to bring out detail outside of the main texture. For instance, try darkening the parts of the two tone magnums that should be purple or black, then brightening the areas for silver and gold on the specular. This will give a higher contrast on the final product and give a more metalic sheen compared to the gunmetal finish on the other parts.

No problem, its how I get the chrome bits of the AR-55 in SR3 to stop being shiny. I had to match the specular maps up to the rest of the texture. There's a lot of little things you can do to bring out detail outside of the main texture. For instance, try darkening the parts of the two tone magnums that should be purple or black, then brightening the areas for silver and gold on the specular. This will give a higher contrast on the final product and give a more metalic sheen compared to the gunmetal finish on the other parts.

Would it be a problem to show a modified specular map, Joe?
I'm asking because the ones SR uses are different from what I usually tool with on other 3d apps.

Well basically SR's are just grey scale textures of the weapons, they work like this:
Black = zero reflection of light
White = 100% reflection of light

The lighter your specular, the shinier your gun.

All right, thanks for your explanation :)
I asked because some specular maps in SRIV are very desaturated diffuse maps with lighter accents/colors, not the usual black/white I use. Guess I'll have to adjust :D

All right, thanks for your explanation :)
I asked because some specular maps in SRIV are very desaturated diffuse maps with lighter accents/colors, not the usual black/white I use. Guess I'll have to adjust :D
Its almost the same, they're just not color condusive. You can grey scale any of them though for simplicity. You just have to keep in mind that it works best to use lighter and darker shade of great on the maps for SR. White and Black will cause SEVERE lighting rather than shading and small reflective changes.

Back