SPOILERS Least favorite thing in the game?

Going to add to my previous entry; the emptyness of the end game.

While the main game is very good, I feel that afterward you do hit a bit of a dead-end, the game doesn't have much more than the main story.
There are no real side stories and there's not much else to do, no randomised events popping up.

Generally speaking, the game is a sand-box, but with only a small amount of sand to play with.
Games like The Elder Scrolls or the X franchise (also held by Deep Silver) feel HUGE, with so very many different locations, many different questlines to follow or generally just things to do. In TES you can work with magic/melee/stealth factions and just singular questlines, in X you get fighting/trading, empire building and so much more. With SRIV we get many potential side stuff, but after the main questline is over, you only have (relatively speaking) a handfull of activities and collectibles.

I'm probably trying to hold SR to a standard it can't meet because of how it's structured and how the theme doesn't always lend itself for vastness, but I do hope the amount of stuff to do in Saints Row games is going to increase with the next installments, because at the end of the day, 20 hours to fully complete an openworld game feels a bit short, they were VERY GOOD 20 hours, but most of the open-world games I played could take up to several hundred hours to 'complete'.

Now it's wait and see for the DLC and modding tools, perhaps they introduce some more end-game materials and/or expand on the side-stuff potential, other simulations, the 'Saints of Rage' 2d adventures and whatnot.
But what I'm really missing already is the character interation, it is something that made this game feel more alive than the abovementioned games manage to do, where you're mostly a voiceless drone sometimes.

The thing that disappoints me the most in the game are the customization limitations imposed upon us PC users thanks to the technical limits of current gen consoles. I'm sort of vaguely holding out for Volition to release a guide along with the SDK on how to change clothes that are stuck in 'outfits' to fully customizable clothing.

The fact that the sidequests mostly boil down to 'complete a string of activities' and feel very same-y does also bother me. It may just be because I spent a fair bit of time away from the main story trying to clear some sidequests but they got old fairly quick when I focused on them. I love having activities in the game and it's nice that they tried to add a bit of context back to them like there was in SR2, but they all do feel more or less the same. For most of the sidequests, I couldn't tell you the difference between them, aside from ones that were much more 'themed' like the Kinzie 'hack a bunch of stores' ones.

That said, I'm still having a ton of fun with the game. I do find that the story and loyalty missions more than make up for the problems with the game, and the game itself is immensely fun to just screw around with. Just going and starting trouble until you have to fight a warden, or just jumping around the city grabbing clusters can keep my attention pretty damn well.

I do hope that Volition reads this topic, if only so they can have ideas on how to improve the game the next run around (Saints in Space: The Game?).

Things I hate:
- Excessive generators in the end that were failing to respond.
- Speed rifting, WHY DOES IT NOT WORK ON MY COMPUTER?!
- The first time I played Asha's mission. I just didn't get the two light part, but that's me being dumb.

Things that make me grumpy but I can deal with:
- Brute weapons visually being in the game, but unavailable.
- Clothing missing. Also, clothing being combined into single suits.

What's worse is every suit I want to change the colour of, I can't. But of course I can change the colour on stupid things I'll never even consider using. Every time the customization is said to be better on the box, it gets dumber and dumber. I love Voliton and Saints Row, but it really sucks when simple things go under the radar like that.

Admittingly, its weird when the really neat stuff isn't able to be colorized, like the Iron Saint particular. I mean there are little things that could be better. Like, you know... Stag armor, why isn't that customizable? Anyways, I definitely don't think its worse. They certainly fixed the weird midrift issue from number 3.

I dunno, I think that's also in terms of limitation. While SR3 has less body types than 2, it also has better meshes and animations. Its give and take. As for eyebrows I never noticed anything out of place, eye rotation I thought was still in there though, maybe it's relabeled as eye shape?

The eye shape is like... oval eyes to anime eyes, with no real middle ground. 2 had the most eyebrows, and they weren't 80% joke ones like in 3 and 4. The animations are definitely better, I love them.
I'm sure we'll get some middle ground soon, honestly... I love 3 and 4's visual style and faces more than 1 and 2's. No matter what, my dude was kind of ugly in 1 and 2. There weren't a lot of haircuts I particularly liked either. 3 and 4 have this really defined comic book art style that I feel has really given the series its own attitude at this point rather than feigning this kind of real life look.

That said, the V guys once stated clothing layering was something they wanted, but didn't have the time for, so I assume whatever 5 is will combine the best of 2, 3, and 4's customization into one.

My least favorite things:

Genki M.O.M Hard
TK Rift
No toggles for individual powers (Tornado is fun, but tornado is also a pain in the ass some times. I want to turn off tornado without turning off all of super run)
No toggles for super powers without flagging as a cheat or modding the game (console users are screwed)
Bugs (but that doesn't count)

Thats about it ;)

Store hacking, just sucked if you got stuck and decided to go to a different store it would be THE EXACT SAME SETUP forcing you to sit there, unable to exit, and then you just fail, have to go get a golden CID, and try again.

Pause, Exit Diversion.

If anything, I hope secrets and easter eggs come back. That's what kept me in 2 for thousands of hours. 3 and 4 are basically devoid of anything beyond surface level play. As much as I knock the series, it remains one of my favourite. 4 is a much needed return to form.
I felt 4 showed way more loving detail than 3, there were so many great little nods and references and easter eggs just from getting little jokes. I swear, this is the only game to quench my love for They Live, cardboard boxes, mechs, light machines guns, and parkour all in one.

Back